Prayer is the vital key product every christian needs to develop a deeper walk with the Lord. Prayer connects you our Father in heaven. When you pray wholeheartedly, seeking His face He would surely answer you. Knowing how to pray effectively keeps you in alignment with His plans and helps achieve effective results.
Before you present your case before God if you have any grievances, grudges against anyone endeavour to resolve the matter first. If anyone has offended you or otherwise, ask for forgiveness and try to make peace/amends with them.
Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. 25 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.” Mark 11:24-26
So how do you pray effectively? Elijah knew how to pray effectively that produced effective results. Elijah had an intimate relationship with the Lord and he was a man who understood how to utilize his authority to command things into being. Every time he sought the Lord He prayed earnestly until he received an answer. When he spoke, it was in authority causing an enforcement to manifest on earth as it in heaven. Elijah made a decree that there would be no rain at his word there was no rain.
And Elijah the Tishbite, of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the Lord God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except at my word.” 1 Kings 17:1
Then in the third year, Elijah went up to the top of the mountain to diligently seek the Lord in prayer, positioning himself in a prayer posture that caused him to connect with the Lord and humbled himself in the presence of God presenting his request before the Most High God (1 Kings 18:42).
Each time Elijah went to check if the rain had come he found no sign. He persisted persevering in prayers, seeking His face wholeheartedly for the floodgates of heaven to open and pour down showers of rain. At the seventh time the Lord granted his request.
Then it came to pass the seventh time, that he said, “There is a cloud, as small as a man’s hand, rising out of the sea!” So he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot, and go down before the rain stops you.’” 45 Now it happened in the meantime that the sky became black with clouds and wind, and there was a heavy rain. So Ahab rode away and went to Jezreel. 1 Kings 18:44-45
So what can we learn from Elijah the Prophet of God who knew how to pray effectively. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit James 5:16b- 18.
There are five key points to an effective prayer that makes things happen:
- Earnest prayer: When you pray, pray to God in spirit and truth, wholeheartedly diligently seeking Him for an answer. Colossians 4:2 states to continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it and with a heart of thanksgiving being grateful to God for what He has done.
- Fervent prayer: There needs to be a undying passion to keep praying with all kinds of prayer and supplication in the spirit (Ephesians 6:18). Increasing the intensity of seeking fervently no matter what even in the midst of the challenging situation. It should not deter you from humbling yourself under the mighty hands of God that you may be lifted up in due time (1 Peter 5:6).
- Righteous life: The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous and He is far from the wicked (Proverbs 15:29). The righteous shall never be moved or shaken so trust God to see you through the storms of life. Elijah lived a righteous life in obedience to His words and instructions even when he did not understand the end of the matter
- Persistant and persevering prayer: Don’t ever give up on God even when you cannot see the physical manifestation, keep pressing hard after Him, travailing in a place of prayer until you receive the productive results. Elijah kept praying constantly and consistently until he saw the sky become dark and cloudy and about to rain.
- Divine knowledge of walking in His authority: It is important to understand your position of authority as a royal priesthood, chosen generation and special people consecrated to fulfill His purpose on earth as it is in heaven. Elijah walked boldly in power and authority without any fear of man but God. When you pray to God, proceed boldly before the throne of grace to obtain mercy at a time of need (Hebrews 4:16).
It is time to pray effectively to the Most High God, pray prayers that would produce fruits. Trust Him at His word for He is a covenant keeping God and He would always fulfill all that He has promised you over your life. Do not give up on God because He is faithful, loving and He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.
Photo Credit: Flickr