In this day and age when people are so busy with work, family and friends, busy with life in general. It is so hard to take time out to spend in His presence, time for reflection, time to just pause and think about His love. Divert all focus from ‘all about me’ to ‘all about You Jesus’. Your mind becomes so juggled up with different thoughts, plans and pursuits, you are emotionally distressed, disheartened and life’s challenges are weighing you down that you become so overburdened with the day to day life problems or issues. In the midst of it all, the Lord is saying BE STILL, just two words BE STILL. Is it possible to be still in the midst of all the confusion surrounding you? Can your mind, will and emotions take a break away from the issues of life? For a season can you take a step back without worrying and processing the next move forward?
Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God Psalm 46:10a amp
Be still and acknowledge that He is God, He is your refuge and strength, and very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1). When that difficult challenge tries to swallow and crush you, do not be moved, do not fear for the Lord your God is with you. He has never left you nor forsaken you. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. References will be made to the song Still (I will be still) by Juanita Bynum throughout this post: When the ocean rise and thunders roar, I will soar with you above the storm. Father you are king over the flood. What’s that problem that you feel God can’t handle? What’s the situation that is giving you sleepless nights? Why do you keep trying to figure it out and in the process depression and confusion creeps in? Have you constantly been on the move without waiting on God?
It is time to be still, come to a place of stillness and quietness, a place of rest and intimacy with the Lord. No more running around trying to figure it out in order to know the whys, what and all the answers to every questions. The process of excessive analysis results to psychological paralysis (my term for depression, mental instability). The Lord desires, He longs for you to stop for one moment, the moment could be short or long. At this position of being still, He wants you to keep your eyes fixed on Him not on the situation. Speak to your soul to find rest, Juanita Bynum sings: Find rest my soul in Christ alone. Know His power in quietness and trust. Enter into a place of rest with the Lord, because in the place of rest is where restoration, healing and soundness of mind occurs (Psalm 23:2-3, Psalm 147:3, 2 Timothy 1:7).
Being in a place of stillness and quietness and acknowledge that He is God can be difficult sometimes if you do not have an intimate knowledge of who He is (Christ Identity) and who you are in Him (Christ Image). When you come to a realisation of who Christ is through the power of the Holy Spirit and a reflection of who you are in Him then you will know within your heart that He is God over all your troubles. My Journey so far has brought me to a place of stillness and finding complete rest in Him. What a journey it has been, would I say I am fully there? But one thing I know is the more I hunger and thirst for His presence, love and to discover more of Him the more I keep wanting and longing for more. If you have never been still to discover who God is and who are you in Christ Jesus, now is the time before it is too late. Below are five strategies I have used to find peace and the soundness of mind in His presence. It does not matter how dark my surrounding is, stormy and windy my challenges are, I will soar high above them and in the midst of darkness His light always shines.
Here are five ways to Be still in the presence of God, to know that He is God and permit Him to work it out
- Time Out: Intentionally dedicating a specific period of time, could be an hour or more depending on your engagements on regular basis to seek His face and dwell in His presence is a way to build an intimate relationship with our Heavenly Father. Take time out to be still in an environment of quietness and peacefulness. Usually when I am home and want to take time out to receive from Him, I switch off all the phones, gadgets and TV to avoid any distractions. Then I enter into a place of rest, peacefulness, clearing my mind off every clutters of thoughts that would hinder me from receiving His fullness of love, grace and peace. My time could be spent speaking to my Father, studying the word, listening to Christian music and hearing what He has to say over any situation that seems to be a burden, receiving instructions or guidance on the journey.
- Retreat: Going away from your noisy, busy environment that keeps you on your feet always is another way. Find a Christian retreat, if your Church organises one endeavour to attend, this is always a period of secluding yourself from the outside world and being in a place of intimacy with the Lord. Usually retreats could last for two to three or more days and could be held individually as spirit lead or corporately (by Churches, Ministries or Organisations). This is a time of refreshment, revival and restoration of the spirit, body and soul. This is a time of discharging every spiritual toxins and recharging your batteries.
- Stop and Pause: When you face challenges, during fierce storms of your life there is a tendency to take charge of situations, work it out independently without consulting God and for the fear of the unknown to grip you to the extent of loosing faith in God. The Lord wants you to stop and pause, do not move or take any action, for this too shall pass, the storm is only for a season, it is not permanent. Let God take control, hand the battle over to the Lord and let God be God. When you pause (remain still) in the midst of it all, He speaks in a still small voice, listen to His words and act on it. It takes the fruit of the spirit to remain in a position of waiting on the Lord, trusting Him at His words and perseverance.
- Renew your mind: You cant be at a place of rest and stillness if you mind is filled up with negatives, deadly thoughts or cluttered with every deceptive, depressive, downhearted thoughts. Ask the Holy Spirit through the blood of Jesus Christ that cleanses and purifies to clear all those junks, clutters that has hindered you from receiving the fullness of His love and grace.
- Relax: Your spirit, body and soul needs to be at ease and in a peaceful restful position because it is impossible to be still if you are emotionally, mentally and spiritually tensed. Chill out in the presence of the Lord and remain in His joy, peacefulness and soundness of mind. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! John 15:11 NLT
I pray that the Lord would bring you to a place of stillness, peacefulness, rest and soundness of mind. He would reaffirm His words to you, over and over again until it is solidly rooted in your heart. Lord, in the midst of the fierce storm, teach them how to soar with YOU above the storm and understand who You are on a deeper level of intimacy . I pray that their mind would be renewed, their spirit, body and soul will be rejuvenated through the power of the Holy Spirit and by His grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Messiah. In Jesus name I pray Amen.
Photo Credit: Flickr
Video Credit: You Tube – Juanita Bynum – Still (I will be still)
If you know a friend, family or loved one who is facing a difficult challenge and at the point of giving up on life or God. Share this post with them and may their lives be restored completely through Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Also you can support Heal The Broken Hearted by filling out the subscription form below to receive regular updates sent directly to your mail box.